Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Connections in Paris

I think back to when my mom and I were discussing flights to get to, and come back from, studying abroad in Italy. Getting there wasn't an issue, I had to take some early finals, but I arrived right on time to start orientation. Coming home was a little more up in the air. Classes ended on the 24th of July so my mom assumed I would travel home the 25th. I had other ideas. I looked at her with my big Brown eyes and said, "I'd actually prefer to stay another couple weeks so I can travel". When she asked where, I simply responded with, "I don't know, I'll figure it out when I get there". She didn't like the response, however it's past the 25th and you won't find me in Oregon.

It's been one of the best decisions I've made thus far. Throughout my adventures over the past month and a half I've bonded a lot with my good friend Alec. We decided that this two week adventure would be a lot more fun together than it would separate. We booked the cheapest of flights accompanied with the cheapest of hostels to make this trip a reality. For us, we don't need luxury, we just enjoy the adventure.

Our first stop was Paris. Our hostel was a ways out of the city center but we just used the metro system to make our way to all of the sites. The Louve was spectacular, the history in that place will take your breath away. The architecture in the city never stops amazing you. I can see why so many people fall in love there.

One of the best parts of Paris however, was the fact that I was able to meet up with my good friend Marie. I'm a firm believer in the fact that it doesn't matter what you're doing, it's who you're with that makes the experience. You can tell Marie grew up with brothers. She's mature, articulate, fun, and just able to go with the flow. I hope she had as much fun in Paris with me as I did with her.

The most memorable part of the time spent in the city was definitely the night of our shopping adventure. We laughed our way into buying Euro fifty Champaign... You know the classy stuff. We then road out, sipped our drinks, and sat under the Eiffel tower as it lit up the sky until one in the morning.

Next stop Barcelona.

With love,

Rhett

1 comment: