Friday, July 18, 2014

Mom, Grandma, and the OASC Attitude

They have arrived! Family is here and it is refreshing to say the least. Although I adore my friends and the connections I've made, it is a wonderful change of pace to slow down, take a couple deep breaths, and admire the small things that you normally pass by. Mom and grandma arrived, substantially jet-lagged, but in good spirits. It's even more wonderful to see them because I wasn't able to say good bye before I left for the trip due to the timing of my classes and finals.

I've been touring them amongst the city and taking them to some of my favorite places. Last night we went to Teatro de Sale, which the most amazing dinner you'll have in Florence. There were more than 6 courses of food, and a show to end the night. Family, food, and wine, always a good combination.

I've taken my last photography class here in Florence due to my teacher needing surgery this week. We are hoping to go visit him while he is on bed rest because the class has bonded a decent amount. Most recently, he has taken us to some of the most beautiful mesuems and parks around Florence, which almost seems unfair that I'm getting class credit for it.

My newsfeed is starting to fill up with pictures and posts of all the OASC (Oregon Association of Student Councils) fun happening at summer camp. All you need to know is that this camp has a special place in my heart and this will be the first time in over 5 years that I am unable to attend which makes me sad. Yet, over the last few days, I've been finding more and more connections to the OASC atmosphere right here in Florence. As our tour reaches its end, the good byes have started. Today, I parted ways with someone I consider a very good friend by the name of Michelle. (If you've been following along, this is the same Michelle that had the near death experience at the coast). We said our kind words, and then, much like at OASC, she handed me a note to say everything else and provide something to cherish. She is pictured below with a gift for her niece that was born only a few weeks prior.

God puts certain people in your life at specific times. This was one of those moments.

"Never lose your humble mindset and faith driven attitude." Those words will stick with me for a long time.

I'm beginning to find myself sentimental. I'm working on gifts, notes, and drawings that I want to give people before we all part ways. What's interesting, is that many of these good byes will be final due to the fact that hardly anyone lives near the west coast, which only makes leaving harder. It also makes me appreciate my true friends back home. The ones that go out of their way and make time for me, even when I don't deserve it. Drew, Eli, LJ, Sam, Dylan, Matt, Matt, Austin, Nolan, JT, Ali, Carlie, Shannon, Jordyn, Mallory, and everyone else I didn't mention that took time for me on more than one occasion.

Letters mean the world. I'm going to be writing more of them as time goes on. "Make time for those who have made time for you".

With love,

Rhett

5 comments:

  1. Loved reading this.
    Take it all in.
    Much love.
    Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Rhett! It is your PDX-AMS seat mate Marilyn. I finally took time to look at your blog. You are having exactly the kind of experience I hoped you'd have....and exactly the kind I thought you'd have since you are such an outgoing and charming guy! Charmed wine and cake from that flight attendant didn't you?? Love reading your blog...want to read about my Africa adventure? bondia2000.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, so good to hear from you. Glad you got the opportunity to keep up on the adventure we started together.

      I'd love to read about your journey as well!

      Take care.

      Delete
  3. Love yuh bud. I'm so happy you're connecting this experience to your whole life.

    ReplyDelete