Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Amalfi Coast

Where to begin... So much has happened since my last blog post so I'll do my best to condence to allow you all to be somewhat interested in what I have to say.

Throughout last week things pretty much continued as normal. I worked on class projects which are only about half work and half personal enjoyment. I gave a tour to a friend who just started her study abroad gig here. We heartily rooted for Tim Howard and the USA squad against those Belgian commies. And I worked out nearly daily to try to get my beach body ready for the Almalfi coast, and because the receptionist at the gym is pretty cute.

Thursday evening I loaded one of the four tour buses headed for the Alamlfi Coast, where I would be spending my 4th of July weekend. We drove into the night and arrived at our destination around 3:30am July 4th. 10 of us, 4 boys and 6 girls, quickly fell asleep in our hostel room for about 3 hours before we were up and starting to celebrate our independence day. The hostel was amazing I might add. The picture below is the rooftop view that overlooks the coast with my good friends Tyler and Alec as well as new friends I met on the trip, Lia and Krista.

That day consisted of a fairy ride to the island of Capri where we took a boat tour of the Island and even got the opportunity to swim in an illuminated cave off the shore. The sun was out, the food was good, and there were even some fireworks to end the night. People went out to dinner, watched the Colombia vs Brazil game, and danced late into the night.

The next day started of just as fun when we trecked over to the beaches of Positano. The Paninis were to die for and the beach was one photo opportunity after another. Cave swimming and cliff jumping were on the ajenda for the day, but unfortunately the trip took a very negative turn.

As I boarded the boat with roughly 20 other students, were made our way to the caves. However, the water was changing very quickly and the waves were becoming much stronger. We were meeting up with boats that already had kids in the water when our guide told us that we were no longer going to swim. That was followed by someone yelling that a girl was in trouble. Three leaders were already jumping into the water when I looks and saw 2 girls being tossed against sharp rocks by 8 foot waves. They were the last two in the water and they were getting smashed against the shore line. My stomach churned when I would see them completely dissapear under the water then reimerge clinging to a rock only to be tossed again. Eventually they were able to climb to higher ground but at a price. They were stranded on the rocks and they were bleeding from scratches all over their bodies.

We had to turn around and head back to shore. For the next 4 hours we could only wait and pray that they were alright. Finally, bruised, bloody, but with heads held high, they walked back to shore, rescued, to be greeted warmly by their friends with a huge sense of relief. The night continued much less stressful with a rooftop celebration.

The next day we took the trip to Pompeii where we got to explore the ruins and learn the tragic history of the city. We even got to see a couple preserved dead bodies. Yet, my ride home was also extremely eventful because I was lucky enough to sit next to Michelle. Who's Michelle you might ask? Well, she is one of the brave girls who was tossed on the rocks the day before. I was simply amazed by her positive attitude and uplifting spirit in the face of her near-death experience. She admitted she was scared, who wouldn't be, but she was all smiles on the ride home. That's admirable enough in itself, but hearing about her goals and her passions was also fantastic. Thank God they are both ok.

This trip has only cemented my belief that there are countless amazing people out there that can inspire you in so many different ways. People may be scared to meet new people, I think you should be scared not to. I go to bed with a smile on my face knowing that no matter where I travel in the world, now or In the future, that I will always find people that I can call friends.

With love,

Rhett

2 comments:

  1. What a scary time you had; Don't you try anything so dangerous. You know we all love you and want you to have a memory that you will have the rest of you life and we want it to be a good one.Grandma Callie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....so glad everyone is ok!! That had to be very scary to watch. See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete